It’s funny how things can seem so scary until you actually go and do it for yourself.
I am a chronic over-thinker. I constantly worry about my capabilities and doubt my ability to perform a task well. Before I enrolled in the B.Ed program, I often thought: I could never be a teacher. But now, look at me. I’m teaching. I wouldn’t say that I am an anxious person, but if I am having a bad day, my negative thoughts can push me over the edge and I can end up wanting to hide in my bed, away from the world.
So I’m making a list of things that scare me. Things that give me anxiety and things that I need to address in my life so that I can choose to live fearlessly. After all, that’s what this blog is all about. I actually think that’s what life is all about – choosing to face the things that scare you and getting past them.
So here it is, a not-fully-comprehensive list of things that scare me.
- Driving scares me. I’m always overthinking it and simply merging on to a highway can cause me to burst into tears. I’m always worried about getting into an accident.
- I think I’m scared to really commit and lose weight. I don’t know why, but I know that I’m fully capable of losing the weight, I just seem to self-sabotage all. the. time.
- I’m terrified of confrontation. I don’t do well under pressure and I hate when people are rude to one another. The confrontation doesn’t even have to include me, haha!
- I’m scared of sharks. And all scary things that lurk in deep water.
- I’m so scared of failing. As if I’m the only one who make mistakes.
- I worry all of the time about what people are thinking of me. I know that it shouldn’t matter, but for some reason many of my actions are based on what I think people would want. Logically, I know I’m better than that, but I can’t seem to shake it.
These are all things I hope to change about myself.
What are you scared of?